So anyways, I have something quick today that I've been meaning to share for a while. I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible about following patterns/instructions when it comes to the seam allowances. When I first picked up sewing again a couple years ago, I just used the edge of my sewing foot as my guide & kept my needle in the center position. My seam allowance was about 3/8", and I never really had any issues with any of the patterns I used.
Then I joined the String Me Along virtual quilting bee, and of course everybody wanted 1/4" seam allowances. No biggie, I measured with the needle in different positions, did my best, and thought I was doing pretty good with the 1/4" seam allowance (or so I thought). But my blocks were coming out a tiny bit small (sorry ladies!), or at least not big enough to be able to trim down & square up.
Now that I'm working on the watermelon quilt blocks, I knew I needed to have exact 1/4" seams to make sure everything came out the size it's supposed to. Plus, I knew I really needed to start being more precise with my seam allowances. So I picked up this 1/4" foot from Distinctive, and I love it! Some of the reviews on Amazon say they don't like it because the center hole for the needle doesn't allow you to make a scant 1/4" seam. But I was able to put my needle just to the right of center (my needle goes from 0 to 7 for the left & right placement, so I set it at 4.5) to get that perfect 1/4" or scant 1/4" seam.
So here's my little test piece. The red is my old 1/4" seam I was making with my regular sewing foot. The dark line in the center is using the 1/4" foot with the needle in the center position. This is a true 1/4" seam. The blue is using the 1/4" foot with the needle just a couple nudges to the right of center, making a scant 1/4" seam.
It's so nice to be able to be so precise now! Blocks are coming together much better, and it makes all the difference in the world.
My only problem is I keep forgetting to move the needle to the center before I start sewing, and I've already broken at least two needles from hitting the top of the sewing foot. I'm definitely getting better about remembering though!
Until next time...