Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My latest obsession

I think I've mentioned before that I go in spurts with different projects, so even though I've got a growing list of bags/purses to make for Christmas gift requests, I'm going to take a break from making bags. I'll probably put it off just long enough to be totally stressed about getting them all done in time for the holidays, but that's just how I work, so I'll deal with it.

Anyways, back to my newest obsession - quilting, or at the very least, patchwork. It's been on my mind for a bit lately, since I've got a handful of fabrics to use for a Christmas gift for a particular person. I was originally trying to plan on making multiple items so I could use all the fabrics, but then decided it would be fun to incorporate them all into one patchwork item.

I've also had my eyes open for an I-spy swap after seeing tons of great fabrics at the little quilt shop I found in my town (did I mention they've been there three years & I just found then about a month or two ago?!). Imagine my delight when Care at Obsessively Stitching announced a new swap last week! Of course I jumped on the opportunity & finished cutting my squares last night. I absolutely can't wait to get my swap fabrics back in the mail! Thankfully I'm a little ahead of the game this time (unlike the bag swap when my partner & I both mailed our bags a day late), squares aren't due to Care until November 10th, but I didn't want to waste any time.

Seriously, how cute are these?! Please excuse the less-than-perfect photos, it was dark last night when I finished cutting.



I think the elephants playing croquet (top left in the bottom photo) are my favorite, but I'm pretty partial to all these "vintage" fabrics the quilt shop is carrying lately. And can you see the little sewing machine "button" in the one on the lower right? Adorable! That fabric was fun because most of the squares ended up with different "buttons" on them.

I won't be able to share the other patchwork/quilting project until after Christmas, but I'll definitely share the other I-spy swap squares I get!

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. This is one of those things that I want to learn...someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so darn talented! Sewing, embroidery, and now quilting, is there anything you can't do? Do you have any pointers on a good book or website to learn the basics of quilting? I bought a bunch of Halloween fabrics intending to make a quilt for my husband but I have no idea how to start.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)