Lesson learned: attach the band before attaching the pocket to make sure the two are parallel. Oops. Luckily I only basted the pocket on, so it was relatively quick & easy to take off to reposition.
So far I've only gotten as far as getting the exterior put together, excluding the "hip" pieces. My thoughts so far...
I'm making the small version, and it definitely is small. I knew it would be judging from the picture in the book, but I guess I still didn't know exactly what to expect.
The pattern piece for the top band says to make it 8.5 inches, but after I sewed the pleat in the bag, the top of it was only 8 inches. I'm not sure if it's something I did wrong, or if the pattern just calls for extra on each side.
Speaking of the pleat, it was kind of awkward to figure out. I'm never certain just how pleats are supposed to fall all the way down the bag, so I just compared it to the pocket piece I had cut out. I was surprised at how much smaller the pocket piece is than the exterior. I got to thinking about it, and when you put stuff in it the pleat will open up making a little more room.
The photo above is actually the exterior of my bag, I decided to add a pocket to the outside. I haven't made up my mind yet whether I want to put one on the inside. It basically would just divide the inside into two separate compartments rather than being it's own separate pocket. Make sense? The solid purple band at the top of my pocket is just a piece of bias tape that I sandwiched around the top of the two pocket pieces.
I haven't sewn the hip pieces on yet, and while I think they're a really cute detail on the bag, I'm wondering how easy they'll be to put on. Like I said, the small version only has an 8 inch opening in the top, so it could be tough getting it on the machine to add the hip pieces. We'll see how it goes, I may end up leaving them off. Either way, I think it'll still look good since it's got the contrasting band on the top.
So far it's come together fairly quick & easy. I only have to cut out & put together the interior & strap, then I'll be ready to put it all together. Hopefully the rest is as easy as it's been so far. Other than my own silly mistake sewing the pocket on crooked, it's been a pleasant experience.
I think I've said it every month since January, and I'll say it again - I'm pretty certain this one is easier than the Cosmo Bag. So if you conquered that beast, you can certainly tackle this one! :)
I hope every body's having a good weekend!
Until next time...