Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reversible Everyday Shopper: Inspiration

Time for our monthly project inspiration! I know quite a few of you are already done with this bag (myself included, but I'll wait to share mine) and Chrissy from Boerman Ramblings has already made two great versions! Here's a little inspiration for those of you who are still working on yours.

(All pictures link back to the original Flickr page)

First up, from Chrissy:

Love, love, love the animals & the camel appliqué on the pocket!
P1010565

And check out her Cosmo Bag inspired side pocket!
P1010566

Great idea with the stitching detail here to split the outer pocket in half. I did sew up the middle of mine as well, but her stitching is so much cuter!
P1010491

I mentioned last time that Sara at Sew Sweetness used a variety of fabric on hers, and I really like the finished look. It's just so fun & unexpected.
Amy Butler's Style Stitches No. 2 - Reversible Everyday Shopper

Really digging this black & white version from SleepytimeSewing.
Amy Butler Reversible Everyday Shopper

You just can't go wrong with this denim version from sewbeeit!
Everyday Shopper

Perfect spring colors from sewfunbymonique!
reversible shopper

This is a perfect idea from Kiah Grey to use the bag as part of a baby shower gift.
Baby shower gift: "Diaper tote" using "Everyday Shopper" pattern from Amy Butler's "Style Stitches."

I hope this inspiration gets you going, but if not, you've still got plenty of sewing time left this month! The first week may have gotten away from me, but this week has been much better. :)

Don't forget you can upload your photos and ask any questions on the Flickr group.

Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for including me! Its always fun to see what everyone chooses for fabrics on the same pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got around to ordering the book! Can't wait to start joining in - it should be here any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I'm loving the little applique on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the baby shower gift idea! Great job everyone! Thanks for including me again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute stuff Bree...Thanks for the inspiration! I would be interested to know who is using home dec fabric and who is using just plain ol quilting weight??? The home dec can get expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the feature...
    I am so honored! two post mentions in one week!

    Susan..for the animal one i used home decor weight ( it was 50% off last week at JoAnn's made it only 5.00 a yard!)
    I used snuggle flannel for the inside!

    The second bag I made with the hand stitching I used quilting fabric. I did add a stiff interfacing but think a regular weight would be fine too.

    Can not wait to see what the rest of you make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I just came across your blog. How fun that you are doing a sew along! I've made this bag three times so far. Very fun! I love all the variations. I'll have to join the flickr group. Right now, I am making the Cosmo Bag. (Wish I had found you sooner!) I am stuck at step 13 D. The bag just doesn't look right and I don't understand how to connect the handles. I love your idea of making the handles on the fold (mentioned in Cosmo area).
    Thanks!,
    JenE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen -

    I'm glad you found the blog! I can't wait to see your Everyday Shoppers. Be sure to upload them to the Flickr group.

    For step 13d on the Cosmo Bag, you are matching up the part of the strap that you will stick your arm through (I know some people got confused with the "inside" and "outside" of the handles). The folded part it refers to matching up will be the part you ironed in step 6j. Or, if you're like me & didn't clip & iron in step 6j, you'll have to basically fold in your seam allowance now, pin like crazy, then top stitch.

    Feel free to e-mail me (or even better, add your e-mail to your profile!) if you have any other questions since it's a bit easier to respond that way. :)

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info about the Cosmo bag, Bree! I finally closed the book and just tackled it the best way I could. It came out okay, but with lots of bad stitching. I'm calling it my Monet bag - looks good from far away, but looks terrible up close! lol!
    I'll take care of my profile and join the Flickr group today!
    JenE

    ReplyDelete
  10. My pics have been added to the Flickr group.
    Thanks!,
    JenE (aka henifer2003 at Flickr group)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)