Sunday, February 27, 2011

String Me Along - March

No, you didn't miss anything, and I didn't get lazy - there was no block for February in the String Me Along quilting bee. Unfortunately the woman who's month was February got sick, so we didn't get a chance to make her block. It's too bad too, she had chosen a Flying Over Fields block. Something I was nervous, but anxious, to try.

For March, we are making a slightly wonky & improve log cabin block for Beth. Since I'm new to quilting, this is my first log cabin of any kind, so I was happy it was going to be a wonky version so I didn't have to worry about it being perfect. The funny thing is, I actually had a pretty hard time making this thing wonky! I guess my mild OCD kicked in because I found myself self having to go almost to an extreme just to get things to not look quite straight.

Beth requested it not be too wonky, and not have too many extreme angles, so I hope she likes it.

String Me Along - March 2011

Beth sent along all the fabric except the solid brown & black. Technically they aren't solid, there's just a tiny bit of a texture-looking pattern, but not too out there, and kind of difficult to see in the picture. Beth said we could add fabric of our own if it went along with the fabrics she sent, and specifically mentioned black & white, otherwise I wouldn't have added the black. I do like how it turned out though, & I'm glad I went with it. I just hope she's happy with it. The brown I wasn't so worried about since it's practically the same color as the brown fabric she sent.

Overall I'm really happy with this block, and really wish I could keep it for myself. I think it turned out great, especially for my first try. I love that we got to make this block a little more personal, and it'll be a lot of fun to see what the others in the group make.

And yes, I realize it's not even March yet, and I'm already done with the block. But Beth did such a great job getting the fabrics out on time & I was excited to get started on it. I figured I would take my time making it, but once I sat down with it last night I just couldn't stop until it was finished.

Oh, and it's a pretty big block, about 15" by 17". I won't be trimming it down to make it square, I figure Beth can do that if she likes when she gets it.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. BREE!!!!! It is so awesome!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I'm so glad you had fun with this block and that you wrote such a great post about it. I can't wait to see it in person - but you did JUST what I was hoping each person would do!!!! I'm so excited that it's my block!!! Thank you and thank you for putting some of yours into it, too. It's beautiful!! (elizabethlehman@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic Bree!! I love making these blocks and am totally looking forward to sitting down and working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks awesome! I just love your blog! :)

    XOXO Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that--the colors and the pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)