Sunday, June 6, 2010

As Promised...


Here are the pillow cover purses!

This is the first one I made, pretty much following the pattern to the letter.  I think the only thing I did change from the original pattern was that I got rid of the zipper on the liner.  It was just too bulky with them both in there, and only took about 5 minutes to rip out (I didn't just cut it), so it's not a big deal, and definitely a good step to take, as far as I'm concerned.

Keep in mind this is the first time I've sewn in years so my lines aren't exactly straight, and it's all-around not perfect, but definitely not bad at all.  The polka dots are the outside, flowers on the inside.  Unfortunately, it isn't reversible.  I didn't put any pockets on the outside of this one, just the inside. 





This is the second bag.  No major changes for this one, but I did put a pocket on the outside, as well as on the inside.  Also, instead of just automatically cutting the third cover into 5" strips, I cut one side apart from the rest, then cut it in thirds for the strap (on both of these, I only used three strips for the strap instead of four because I don't like a super long strap).  That made the strips just over 5", so the finished strap was just a bit wider than the first one, which made it a lot easier to turn right-side-out, and I like the wider strap a bit better too.  That left me with the full other half of the cover to use for pockets, so I was able to make the pockets bigger, instead of being confined to only using 5" pieces for the pockets.  A little more versatility doing it this way.

The flowers are the outside, stripes on the inside.  I think my favorite part of this is the outside pocket.  And that the colors just scream SUMMER and BEACH to me.  :)

Until next time...








1 comment:

  1. Those look AWESOME! Don't you just love those pillow covers!! I thought about cutting the zipper out of the liner, but was too lazy...glad you did it tho. And I don't see anything wrong with your stitching...they look great! Thanks for letting me know you made them, and if you get time post to the flickr group on my blog
    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)